May 28, 2005

Sigils vs Hungarian

I'm currently on part 7 of the python challenge. I find myself actually missing Perl sigils. Partly because they make string interpolation easier, and partly because they act a little like hungarian notation (the original hungarian notation, not the useless variant most commonly seen). The sigils tell you a little about what type of variable you're looking at, which can be useful in a dynamically typed language where types are not explicitly declared.

On the other hand, I suppose I could always start using hungarian notation in Python if I really felt like it. It isn't hard to come up with naming conventions that make it obvious whether a variable is an array or a subroutine or not.

Still, I miss the ease of Perl string interpolation.

Overall impression so far: Python is looking good, but I'm not comfortable with it yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home