August 21, 2007

How much do I actually read?

The last time I kept track of how many books I read was Feb.-Aug. 1994, a seven month period during which I read 83 books, an average of 2.73/week. I was 15 at the time, and during university the amount I read went down, so for a while now I've used 2 books per week as my estimate of how much I read.

When I put that factoid in my profile, something in the back of my brain insisted I get more recent data. After all, I'm 29 now, and I read more articles on the internet than I used to, and I'm less interested in fiction than I used to be. (The real universe is much more detailed and interesting than any fictional universe, after all.) So, while I was getting this week's books at the library, I asked if they keep a record of how many I've checked out. It turns out they do, and in the time I've had a library card with the Toronto Public Library (Sep.'05 - Aug.'07), I've checked out 153 books, 1.5/week.

That's lower than 2/week, but not by too much. I get some books as gifts these days, and I've read about a dozen books available for free on the internet this year. All together, I figure I've read ~1.9 books/week so far this year. Guess I'll have to pick up the pace a little!

I figure I've read an average of 2 books/week since the time I was old enough to go to the local public library on my own. (When I was about 10 years old.) If true, then I've read about 1,976 ±100 books.

Update: it turns out my Mom has written down the title of every book she's read since she was 16! I hope to find out how many that is soon. (My Dad reads less than we do. "I only read good books.")

Update 2: Since 1961, my mother has read an average of 3 books a month. What really impresses me is that she wrote down the title of every single one.

1 Comments:

At September 23, 2007, Blogger pyralis said...

That's awesome that you try to read at least two books every week. I try to find time to read, but lately I've been bombarded by my senior project design and preparing to go to grad school. So have any good recommendations?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home